What Chemicals Are In Household Cleaners & Their Health Risks?
Cleaning products that are commonly used to upkeep a house include air fresheners, toilet bowl and drain cleaner, oven cleaner, floor cleaner, etc. When you use these products, they release harmful chemicals, including volatile organic compounds (VOCs).
Many manufacturers advertised their products as ‘natural’ and ‘green’, but that doesn’t mean that they are entirely safe to use. Use of commercial products can irritate the eyes, throat, responsible for headaches and cause serious health problems, including cancer.
Thus it is always advisable to use natural products that are entirely safe. Even professionals who provide reliable end of lease cleaning in Adelaide avoid using chemically loaded cleaners. If you want to limit your exposure to the toxic substance present in the cleaners, first you should learn about it.
Read on to know more about chemicals present in the household cleaners & their health risks.
This chemical is usually found in products that are used to clean dirty ovens and unclog bathroom drains. People use these products without any hesitation because the majority of people do not know that Sodium Hydroxide is extremely corrosive. If it gets in your skin or touches your skin, it can cause a severe burn.
You can also experience a sore throat if you inhale this harmful chemical. Therefore, instead of using the commercial oven and drain cleaner, use household ingredients like baking soda and vinegar. You can get an excellent result by using these natural products.
2-Butoxyethanol is an important ingredient in most of the kitchen, windows and all-purpose cleaners that are available in the Adelaide market. It is basically used to give these cleaner a sweet smell. However, the use of any products that contain these chemicals can be harmful to your health in the long run.
If you inhale this chemical, you can experience sore throat, which can last for days. Apart from that, it can be responsible for pulmonary edema, narcosis and severe kidney and liver damage. Thus, it is beneficial to prepare an all-purpose clean at home using vinegar and water. You can use it to clean kitchen surfaces, windows and many more places.
Also known as PERC and dry-cleaning solutions, this chemical is present in spot removers, dry-cleaning solutions, as well as carpet and upholstery cleaners. Studies reveal that if animals get expose to this specific chemical, they can have a harmful effect on their liver and kidney. Thus you should not use such products if you have a pet.
The fume of these products also causes dizziness, loss of appetite, nausea and disorientation. If you are concern about your health and your pet, use natural products for house cleaning.
You may find it difficult to clean the carpet using natural products, so hire professionals that offer the best end of lease cleaning in Adelaide. They offer additional services like carpets cleaning, so you can opt for that.
Phthalates are commonly found in dish soap, air fresheners, even toilet paper. This chemical is used to add some fragrance to these products. As there is no obligation on manufacturers to mention all the ingredients, you Phthalates on the product label.
However, if you find the fragrance word on the label of any product, then you can expect that the products contain this chemical. Any studies reveal that the use of this chemical, in the long run, can damage the liver, kidneys, lungs and reproductive system.
So, always use the fragrance-free dish soap like castile soap. Instead of using commercial air fresheners, try to improve the ventilation of a room and use essential oil.
Ammonia is another common ingredient that is found in commercial cleaners. It is present in polishing products that are used to regain the shine of bathroom fixtures, window panes and jewellery.
Commercial oven cleaner, glass cleaner and stainless-steel cleaner also contain a significant amount of ammonia. It is very corrosive in nature and damages the cells of the body. This harmful chemical not only irritates the eyes, lungs but can also give burn or rashes on the skin.
Ammonium chloride and other chemicals such as chlorine are found in mould and mildew removers. People use such product to get rid of the moulds, but they do not realise how harmful this chemical is. Ammonium Chloride is hazardous as it can irritate the eyes, throat and nose.
You can also experience shortness of breath, nausea, headache and cough. Thus, try to avoid the mould remover available in the Adelaide market. If you want to get rid of this problem, use household ingredients such as baking soda, vinegar, borax or essential oil. You will get the desired result without compromising the safety.
It is a hazardous ingredient used in disinfectants. You might be successfully removing the germs and bacteria from your household surface, but you are leaving behind a very toxic substance. In case you don’t know, Phenols can cause circulatory, respiratory and cardiac damage.
Also, as it is flammable, your house becomes unsafe for your family. That is why it is advisable to avoid commercial disinfectants. You always have the choice to get rid of germs and bacteria using chemical-free products.
You can use hydrogen peroxide or rubbing alcohol to sanitise a surface. If you want to disinfect your house properly and safely, hire experienced end of lease cleaners in Adelaide. They have expertise in not only cleaning a rental property at the end of the tenancy but also thorough cleaning of your house.
The market is flooded with commercial cleaners, and they are quite effective in removing the stubborn dirt from the household surfaces. However, these products are loaded with harmful chemicals that lead to various diseases.
Thus, you should start using natural products to clean your house in a true sense. If you ever want to use any branded cleaner, think about the chemicals mentioned above and their health risks.